The state finance minister Palanivel Thiagarajan presented its revised budget for 2021-22 on Friday. Former deputy chief minister O Panneerselvam presented the interim budget for the year 2021-22 on February 23, ahead of the assembly elections. A four-day long session was held beginning June 21, with governor Banwarilal Purohit making a customary address to the newly elected members of the 16th assembly.
Here are the top highlights from Tamil Nadu Finance Minister PTR Palanivel Thiagarajan’s budget speech today.
- Govt allocates Rs 3,954 crore to Tamil Nadu slum clearance board.
- About Rs 20,000 crore loan aide will be given for women self-help groups (SHGs).
- Allocated Rs 2,000 crore for underground drainage plan.
- Rs 703 crore for the free ride for TN women in public buses.
- Metro railway projects will be expedited and completed by December 2026.
- Diesel subsidy of Rs 750 crore given to state public transport. Allocate Rs 623 crore for 100 new public buses. Detailed project report would be prepared for Madurai Metro Rail project.
- About 17,800 MW of electricity production capacity will be added in the next four years.
- Tamil Nadu govt allocates Rs 32,599.54 crore to school education department.
- Inspection had started to set up metro train in Madurai.
- The vacancies in higher educational institutions will be filled on priority basis.
- Ten new arts and science colleges will be established in the state.
- Tamil Nadu will start smart classes in 25 colleges this year.
- The budget allocates Rs 5,369 crore for higher education department for 2021-22.
- Tamil Nadu govt allocates Rs 959 crore for Dr Muthulakshmi Reddy Maternity benefit scheme.
- Rs 18,933 crore allocated for health and family welfare in Tamil Nadu.
- TN skill development corporation would be revived. Rs 215.64 crore allocated to unorganized workers welfare board. TN would create 45,000 hectares of land bank.
- Nandambakkam to get a FinTech city at the cost of Rs 165 crore.
- SIPCOT to come up in nine districts, including Tiruvannamalai and Dharmapuri; Rs 1,500 crore has been allocated for the same as first instalment.
- Rs 409 crore has been st aside for free school uniforms scheme.
- 300 tourists destinations to be developed under tourism master plan. Rs 187.50 crore has been allocated for the same.
- Tamil Nadu allocates Rs 409 crore for free school uniforms scheme.
- Rs 1.50 crore allocated for transgenders pension scheme.
- Rs 6 cr allocated to renovate mosques and churches.
- MLAs woukd be encouraged to utilize a portion of constituency development fund to improve the facilities in their constituency.
- Tamil Nadu sets aside Rs 4,142 crore for Adi Dravidar and ST welfare.
- Tamil Nadu allocates Rs 225.62 crore for sports and youth development.
- Maternity leave for govt staff increased to 12 months. It will come into effect from July 1, 2021.
- Loans to the tune of Rs 2,756 crore given to women SHGs would be waived.
- CM has ordered to reduce petrol price by Rs 3 per litre.
- Tamil Nadu govt would incur loss of Rs 1,160 crore by reducing the petrol price.
State revenue for the fiscal year is Rs 2,60,409.26 crore, expenditure estimated at Rs 2,61,88.57 crore and deficit Rs 58,692 crore.
- We are taking efforts to streamline the property tax and other taxes to revive the state economy: Tamil Nadu finance minister Palanivel Thiagarajan
- MLAs constituency development fund enhanced to Rs 3 crore.
Tamil Nadu will come up with a separate education policy for the state:Tamil Nadu finance minister Palanivel Thiagarajan.