Being a foodie is a common trait amongst Indians and so are gastric problems. Indigestion, gas, bloating, hiccups, heartburn, stomach pain, ulcers, and nausea are some of the common features of gastric problems. These are the frequently received rewards of an unhealthy lifestyle, including binge eating, smoking, drinking alcohol, sleep disorders, eating junk, stress, etc. Flaunting these rewards can put one into embarrassing situations.
Owing to discomfort, one cannot leave it unattended. Also, one cannot consult a doctor or approach a pharmacy so frequently for such a general problem.
Some of the most common causes include stress, a diet that is excessive in dairy, an inactive lifestyle and not including enough fibre in your diet. These are apart from medical conditions that may cause gastric problems as a symptom.
Top Causes of Gastric Problems
1. Low levels of fibre in your diet
2. Lack of regular physical activity, sedentary lifestyle
3. Travel or any other drastic changes to your regular routine
4. Excessive amounts of dairy products
5. Chronic and unmanaged stress
6. Not going to the toilet regularly (possibly due to pain or haemorrhoids)
7. Consuming excessive amounts of diarrhoea medication
8. Antacids that contain calcium, aluminium
9. Other medications that are rich in iron as well as painkillers, antidepressants
10. Being pregnant
Food causes may include – carbonated drinks, beans, artificial sweeteners, potatoes, pasta, eating or drinking too fast, using a straw, swallowing excessively
Disease causes may include – lactose allergy, gluten allergy, IBS, Crohn’s disease, GERD, peptic ulcers
The symptoms may include:
- Acid reflux (burning in the throat)
- Bloating, gas, belching
- Bad breath
Usually, these symptoms are mild and short-lived, they typically don’t require medication but simple solutions at home can make them go away quicker. So, here are some home remedies for instant relief from gastric problems.